Welcome Back To The Biker Forum - V03 (View original topic)



Spree

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:33 AM

Hello and Welcome to The Biker Forum, the UK's Premier Biking Forum - run by Bikers for Bikers.

Here you will find a wealth of information from motorcycle enthusiasts on motorbike, and biker related topics, you can chat with other biker members, get buying advice, help with maintenance, spare parts, and of course socialise with like minded people with regular details on countrywide ride-outs and meets.

Once registered you can see information on local and regional biker events, motorbike rallies, meet ups and gain access to the wealth of bike knowledge from all of our members.


For existing members a number of things haven't ported over from the previous biker forum, so please check your own control panels to set them up.

There are a number of new features with the new forum software, such as..
  • Chat room
  • Status updates (similar to Facebook)
  • Colour change feaure - the site now has the capability to change colours. Blue is the default, the other colours are green, red and black.

Please do not use this forum to post questions. If you are struggling to do something, check out the help section first. This is located in a drop down box directly under your login name at the top right hand corner of the page. If you can't find an answer there, then post your question in the 'Forum Help' section.

Any bugs or glitches should be posted in the Bug Report section.

You will all need to familiarise yourselves with the site and please remember, when asking for help, please be patient. This forum software is new to all the Admins and Mods too

We owe a huge amount of thanks to Rich and his colleague, Martin, for the many hours they have spent porting the forum over. It has been a nightmare to be honest but they have stuck with it to get us up and running again despite all the holdups.

Thank you so much guys, the move couldn't have happened without you ;)

Spree

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:52 AM

Just to add to the above, please DO NOT use external smileys for the foreseeable future. We need to monitor the forums performance and don't want any external influences if possible.

We are looking to add to the smilies as soon as possible. Thanks for your co-operation :)

Spree

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

Sorry folk's I just realised that nobody could reply in this section - fixed now :blink:

fluffy

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

Outta curiosity, why downgrade from vB to IPB? Isn't vB better?

Rerb

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:33 AM

View Postfluffy, on 02 June 2011 - 08:35 AM, said:

Outta curiosity, why downgrade from vB to IPB? Isn't vB better?



It's horses for courses really, plus vB do like to count their money.

Spree

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:35 AM

View Postfluffy, on 02 June 2011 - 08:35 AM, said:

Outta curiosity, why downgrade from vB to IPB? Isn't vB better?


Its better in the way its supported for plugins etc but the code itself is way too bloated and full of bugs. I tried the latest version but it wasn't that good. Advice from other web designers sort of made me lean towards IPB.

fluffy

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:38 PM

View PostRerb, on 02 June 2011 - 10:33 AM, said:

It's horses for courses really, plus vB do like to count their money.


So does anyone, sounds to me you'd work for nowt!? Hehe.. Buying a site license solve that problem plus it'll give your 12 months of updates.


View PostSpree, on 02 June 2011 - 10:35 AM, said:

Its better in the way its supported for plugins etc but the code itself is way too bloated and full of bugs. I tried the latest version but it wasn't that good. Advice from other web designers sort of made me lean towards IPB.


That's kinda odd from my experience IPB has it's fair share of bugs, security flaws in it's past. Most designers I know only setup the application, customise the CSS to suit clients requirements, throw in some lame graphics and that's about it. They don't administrate the site nor dot they apply patches, mods etc. So how you finding this so far? Has migration been faultless for you?

Sorry, returning to the site was a bit of a shock, everything changed... haha!!

Rerb

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:45 PM

View Postfluffy, on 02 June 2011 - 05:38 PM, said:

sounds to me you'd work for nowt!?


I do :huh:



View Postfluffy, on 02 June 2011 - 05:38 PM, said:

That's kinda odd from my experience IPB has it's fair share of bugs, security flaws in it's past. Most designers I know only setup the application, customise the CSS to suit clients requirements, throw in some lame graphics and that's about it. They don't administrate the site nor dot they apply patches, mods etc. So how you finding this so far? Has migration been faultless for you?

Sorry, returning to the site was a bit of a shock, everything changed... haha!!


It took about five minutes during tea and biscuits one morning ;)

Changing hosting at the same time caused major problems plus some Russian hackers. The import was just long winded with the filters requiring information in a certain way, once over it was quite time consuming tidying up. There were nearly 500,000 posts and syncing it took a fair while.