• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Learning to ride under new licence rules Rate Topic: -----

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:49 PM (#1) User is offline   D4N T P 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationYorkshire
  • I Ride:Kawasaki ZX6R

I'm just trying to get my head around the latest licence rules for a friend that's starting out learning to ride.
She's over 24, passed her CBT and is taking lessons on a 125cc geared bike. That all made sense until I read the rules about the A2 licence have changed (i'm well out of date, i know) and you no longer automatically get the rights to ride any size/power bike after 2 years.
So am I right in thinking, other than for confidence and basic riding skills the 125cc bike is a bit of a waste, as to get any licence now you need to take Mod 1 and 2 on a 'full size' albeit 0.2kw/kg limited bike?
Am I wrong in thinking that you would be wise to take lessons on an A2 compliant bike, as handling/manuvering a 125 vs say a 500 is noteably different given what is expected from the rider in Mod 1 and 2?
However I am assuming that you can only be out with an instructor on a A2 bike, or at an off the road based training area.
Fundamentally I don't want her buying a 125cc bike then finding out she may as well have waited to pass the A2 test and get a 125+ bike.

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:28 PM (#2) User is offline   Scythe 

• Litre Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationCrewe
  • I Ride:2005 ZX6R / 2003 GSXR750 / 2012 Versys650

As she's 24, she can go straight for a full A licence with no restrictions on direct access. This means she'll be doing her lessons on a bigger bike. There is no difference to the tests she will be taking, just the bike she'll be tkaing them on.

Sounds to me like she's going for the wrong licence.

(See https://www.gov.uk/r...ce-requirements for age requirements)

This post has been edited by Scythe: 10 April 2017 - 05:28 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:16 PM (#3) User is offline   1066biker 

• Litre Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip

It's been a while since I instructed but I'd never put a learner straight on to a big bike from cbt, hopefully she's having 125 lessons until her instructor thinks she's ready to move on.
Motorcycling is perfectly safe as long as you never forget how bloody dangerous it is!:D

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:52 AM (#4) User is offline   dangerman 

• Litre Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationLiverpool
  • I Ride:Suzuki SV650S, Triumph Street Triple 675

I was one of the ones who was able to pass on a 125 but then after two years was able to ride anything I like - a 200bhp Hayabusa if I so chose. That never made much sense to me.

The 125 (no idea why they picked 125 as the number suitable for learners) seems like a good choice for a personal bike to ride around on while learning, getting the hang of the rules of the road and dealing with other road users. But regarding proving that you're an efficient rider and passing a test I'd always tell people, if they can, get all lessons on a 'big' bike.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language